Article 69 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010, provides that the State is to:
- Ensure sustainable exploitation, utilisation, management and conservation of the environment and natural resources, and ensure the equitable sharing of the accruing benefits.
- Work to achieve and maintain a tree cover of at least ten per cent of the land area of Kenya.
- Protect and enhance intellectual property in, and indigenous knowledge of, biodiversity and the genetic resources of the communities.
- Encourage public participation in the management, protection and conservation of the environment.
- Protect genetic resources and biological diversity.
- Establish systems of environmental impact assessment, environmental audit and monitoring of the environment.
- Eliminate processes and activities that are likely to endanger the environment.
- Utilise the environment and natural resources for the benefit of the people of Kenya.
Every person has a duty to cooperate with State organs and other persons to protect and conserve the environment and ensure ecologically sustainable development and use of natural resources.
Constitution of Kenya, 2010